In the early 1930's, Edward Jeffreys, Welsh evangelist whom God was greatly using, came to Stoke-on-Trent and preached in a major public auditorium. Amazing miracles took place. Hundreds of instant, visible healings resulted in truckloads of medical equipment being hauled back to the hospital no longer needed.
Out of those revival meetings several Bethel Churches were established including one at Longton, on the southern flank of the city.
In 1949 Rev. John Gardiner, an Elim Pastor, was appointed to the Longton Bethel. A fully affiliated Elim Church started in 1955, the first minister being Rev. Henry Fardell. He was followed (1955-1958) by Rev. David Ayling (senior) who later became Elim's International Missions Director and a member of the Executive Council. Starting in February, 1958 Rev. John Coleman served as Pastor for 6½ years during which time the congregation purchased Kents Chapel, a former Methodist Church in Carlisle Street, Dresden. £2250 was paid for the building in 1960.
Pastor Alex Johnston took over in 1964 and served until 1971 when he was succeeded by Rev. Frederick Day. In June 1976 Pastor Philip Parsons was appointed to the pastorate.
Plans were drawn up for a new building to replace the chapel which was well over 100 years old. The auditorium was built on the car park after which the old chapel was demolished to make way for the minor hall, office, kitchen and toilet facilities. The project was completed in May, 1980.
The congregation grew and paid off a 15 year loan in 8 years. After this nearby land was purchased and developed into a car park releasing the previous car park for the next building project. In 1993 an extension was completed almost doubling the size of the building.
Another 15 year loan was paid off in just 7years during which time the church also purchased adjacent land for future development.
Jason Ankers, a graduate of Regents Theological College, served as Assistant Pastor with special responsibilities for youth and children's ministries from December 2004 to January 2008 before moving on to pastor his own church in Broadstairs.
In August 2008 Pastor Howard and Rachel and their two children joined the team having served as Assistant Pastor at Holyhead elim in Anglesey.
In 2013 Pastor Philip Parsons stepped down as Senior Pastor, then retiring in 2014 moving on to his own ministry, and Pastor Howard became the Senior Pastor of Longton Elim where he continues to serve along with Rachel.
This year - 2015 Longton Elim Church has been celebrating its 60th anniversary!